Saturday, August 29, 2009

A few days recap

Hi Everyone

Sorry my internet ability is a bit sporadic at the moment. Yesterday we went to the Cliffs of Moher which was amazing and stopped along the way at other little towns to see what they were all about meeting lots of different people along the way. I will tell you that when you ask any Irish native for directions they will start giving it to you one way and then say something like oh well then you could go that way the view is lovely or no you could cut through here....etc. It's really amusing and you do get there eventually but you can take about 50 different routes to get somewhere. As for sign posting it's hard to tell somethings are really good with being marked and others not at all. And everything is in Gaelic and English but it's really hard to read the signs they aren't large print like the ones at home are or the same color all the time. On the way back we stopped at a farmers market stand next to the pub we at lunch at and bought the biggest carrots I've ever seen for our hosts at the B+B. A bunch of boys were selling the carrots all about 10-13 years old. We gave them a few euro tip for the carrots they were very excited.

The day before that we went up to Clifden a town Northwest of Galway to go see some sights up that way. We drove along the scenic route over a peninsula and saw the most beautiful coast line I have ever seen. It doesn't even come close to anything back home. (I will be posting more photos on my link as soon as I can get them from my camera it takes longer to upload here). On our way back from that coastal route we stopped at the Connamara National Park with the most interesting flora I've seen. I did learn though that the little pine bushes that looked so soft and pretty are not so soft instead they're more like killer pine bushes or the cacti of the Emerald Isle. We didn't get to go too far in the park since it was getting dark. We then headed down towards the Quiet Man Bridge the very same bridge that John Wayne over 50 years ago sat on during the filming of the movie to look out at his home of Whitermorn (though the house isn't actually there it's a few miles down the road it was too dark for us to go see). After that we went home and Dad and I went out for dinner at 10pm here so about 4pm there. We ate oysters and prawn cocktail (aka shrimp here they're called prawn). Afterwards we walked past the little carnival going on where there is a ride called Wild Mouse which is a small roller coaster but the mouse on the front of the ride body looks like a possessed mouse with alien eyes it's really quite creepy.

Today we went to the Aran Islands on a ferry which was a lot of fun that thing was doing a lot of cruising very quickly but we got there in decent time. After we arrived it looked a bit too rainy so we didn't take the horse and buggy though it seemed like something really fun to do. Instead we took a bus tour because riding bikes would've taken too long and it was a bit too windy. We got out at the base of the cliff where we could walk up to a 3000 year old fort and explore. These cliffs were even higher than the Cliffs of Moher and you can go right up to the edge and off and plummet over 300 feet if you really wanted to. It was amazing and I didn't get too close to the edge, I did but I didn't. I don't mind heights but I don't care to go launching off the cliff in the Aran islands because quiet honestly I'd never come back. And if I did I certainly wouldn't be at school and that was sort of part of the point of being here so no cliff diving for me :) We met a couple who live in England who chatted with us after we got off the cliff and they offered for us to come stay with them when we get to England which was so nice of them and something no one has done before. I'm baffled at how people here are so open and nice and helpful it's more so than anywhere I've ever been.

Well more later I must go sleep I move in to housing on Monday and tomorrow a Medieval banquet at a castle!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a grand time. It's so awesome that your Dad is there with you.

    I look forward to seeing more pics. Do you have software to resize them so they aren't so hard to upload? GIMP is free and it works pretty well...

    You write very well Heather. Your excitement comes through in your words! ;-)

    Enjoy the banquet and the castle...

    ReplyDelete