Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm Here!

Hi Everyone

Today at least for me is Aug 26th. Currently I'm forcing myself to stay awake at least until 7 or 8pm here which for you in the States is about 2pm in the afternoon. I took a short nap because I was gonna pass out but right now it's torture. The plane ride was good I guess as good as I could see considering it was my first international flight. I arrived in Shannon (which is 2 hours south of Galway) at 5am here so it was about 1 or 2 am for you all. Killer? Yes very. But the flight was alright minus being squished. They served food which was really good and if I do say so myself better than Beloit's Common's food. (Yes ok I'm evil for saying that but honestly if a plane can make better food than a school that's pretty sad.) They even had in flight demand movies and tv shows I was quite surprised.

So after a 2 hour car ride which was enjoyable but yet freaky we ended up in Galway at our bed and breakfast called Marless House. If you really are ambitious and want to find where it is just look on a map or google Galway Bay and Threadneedle Road that's where it is. I didn't drive and thank goodness I didn't I thought Chicago drivers were bad holy cow it's worse here. And it's not the whole other side of the road thing it's just how people drive. I do give them a lot of credit though for at least not flipping you off when they pass you. In fact they like to flash their caution lights as a thank you.

I also had my first beer today. No did not waste anytime with that I figured I'm in King's Head in Galway eating some fish and chips why not have my first Guinness with my Dad? Mind you I had 1/4 pint since there is no way I could ever finish a whole pint. I do have to say for those of you that seem to think that the cheapest beer is fantastic you are soooo terribly wrong. I've had a taste or two of your 'fantastic beer' and I have to say no way you lose. Guinness isn't terribly expensive especially with a 1/4 pint. But I have officially had a real beer and it was great. But don't you all fret I'm not becoming a drinking machine my tummy can't handle that.

Speaking of my tummy it hates me right now. Could be a nice combo of the jet lag, mineral water, fish and chips, Guinness, carrot juice and scones I've eaten in the last 36 hours. So I will be soon crashing because I feel crummy. Don't worry I'll be fine this usually happens every single trip I go on.

I think I may have to do my journal writing tomorrow I'm really sleepy. Mary, our hostess here is amazing she is so sweet and so helpful and how can you not love a woman who says after you walk in the door take off your wet things and I'll get you something to eat? I love her I have a feeling she'll be our adoptive host mum while we're here. People are very nice here and I feel very comfortable. I also took a tour of the campus today on our own sort of thing and picked up the 'timetables' (they're not called schedules) for registration/orientation next week. The campus is beautiful and has loads of stuff to do. It's pretty big but at the same time not.

Well I will eventually post photos but I'm sleepy and I'm going to bed so good night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not too surprised the airplane food was a step up from commons. Geez. (And is it sad I'm kind of looking forward to airplane food??)
    Can't wait to see pictures and I'm glad you arrived there safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete